Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Funky Felted Wool Decorative Ball Project


I received this awesome ceramic bowl from my parents for Christmas; however it's sat empty since due to not having any idea what I wanted to do with it/put in it.  During Saturday Art at my friend Leslie's house I've had my eye on these neat felted balls she had made and sitting in bowls around her house. I bought a kit years ago and felted 3 little pumpkins for Halloween but that was the extent of my felting experience.  Leslie had taken a class on felting and was generous enough to show me how to create these felted wool balls. I tried to video tape it from my camera so that I could post a little tutorial; however my camera battery died after 30 sec.! Darn!

There are tutorials online though that you can find and a lot of different directions on how to felt wool.  I used stuffing as the center to use less felt as felt is expensive. I also found an entire bag of wool at Craft Bits and Pieces (a second hand arts and crafts store) for $3.00!!! Amazing deal!!  I've created 9 medium to large felted balls and 5 small ones (I'm still in the process of making a necklace with the small ones) and I still have a bunch of felt left.

Anyway loved creating these felted wool balls. It's relaxing and creative. You can create whatever you want as far as colors and designs.  I used hot water and soap when finished to tighten the wool up instead of keeping a fluffy look and to dry them I put them in the oven at 150 degrees and left them until I remembered to check them (about 45min.). I just put them in the oven to dry them faster because I'm impatient. You could put them on a towel and set them in a sunny spot and let them air dry. That would be the eco-friendly way.

My next step is going to be to had ribbons, yarn, beads, etc... into some of them. I'll post them when completed.








No comments:

Post a Comment