Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review: Handmade To Sell

I checked out a new library in the burbs and it was great for finding books on any type of crafting and art making medium.  I checked out some mixed media jounaling books, how to draw cartooning characters and this book on how to sell your handmade creations.  It was a quick and interesting read so I thought it would be worth mentioning to those of you who might be like me and not sure about if you actually want to start an Esty shop or not.

The book Handmade to Sell; Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz by Kelly Rand and others is a book I'd recommend reading if you are thinking about selling your art creations.  I wish I would have read it before moving forward with the work I've put into starting my Esty shop (not that I've invested a whole lot so far).  I did do most things so far as recommended and I've been stuck because I know that I should develop a brand line versus numerous various crafts that I create. I just haven't been dedicated to sticking to and growing one line of items. I definitely have some ADD characteristics.  So I have a logo, my DBA, a business name, a logo stamp, and an Esty shop sign, an Esty account and I have some creations built up and good photos taken. All of which is recommended in this book which takes you step by step through everything you should think about and do, along with a lot of helpful resources online to get further information on all aspects of starting your homemade creations small business.

However; one of the first chapters spends time on focusing on if you make art as a hobby or if you want to have it as a business.  When I went through that check list it turns out my passion is to use art as a hobby not to make it as a business. Oh brother!

Here's some signs on if you make art as a hobby or should as a business:
(taken from the book Handmade to Sell by Kelly Rand and others pg.22)

Hobbyist
-You create in your spare time.
-You make primarily for yourself or friends and family.
-You give away your creations.
-You make for stress relief.
-You make to have a creative outlet.
- You occasionally sell an item for fun and possibly extra cash.
-You cannot deduct materials, trainings, and supplies from your taxes.

Businessperson
-You create and plan all the time.
-You make primarily to sell strangers.
-You can't afford to give away too many of your creations.
-Making can be major stress.
-You don't have as much of a creative outlet.
-You are selling year round.
-You can deduct materials, trainings, and supplies from your taxes.

**What I personally discovered from this list is that I do everything from the Hobby list and nothing from the Businessperson list. Furthermore and more importantly I discovered that there are many characteristics on the Business list that I personally don't care to develop at this point in my life. I want to be able to afford to give away creations, I don't want creating art to become a major stress, and I want it to be a positive outlet.  So, I guess the lesson learned is that for now I will stick to creating as a hobby. I'm young and perhaps someday I will look through this list and move towards being ready to be a business person. For now, I'll keep my day job and moonlight as a Craftster!

No comments:

Post a Comment