Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Recycled Buffet



I've been meaning to post this project for about 6 months. It took until about a month ago to get some pictures and even then they are not the best because they were done through my not so good cell phone.

My friend had this buffet she found out for the trash about 20 years ago.  It was pretty beat up and my friend had wanted to refinish it. She asked for my help and we scheduled a day and set out to refinish it some how.

We started by sanding over the entire piece. We then used dark brown paint and put a coat on the buffet. A weathered/crackled coat came next.  We waited until it was tacky and then put a quick coat of off white paint as a top coat.  When the paint was dry we took a rag and amber colored acrylic paint that we watered down. We brushed on the amber paint and wiped off with a rag to desired antique look.  When completely done we polyurethaned the piece with a few coats.

My advise would be to not place anything on the piece for a month as the polyurethane has to cure. It can cause discoloration in spots where you place something while it is still curing. Same with if it is in direct sunlight as it is curing.  If I ever remember I'll take some better pics and repost them.  Oh, I gave the amber octagon glass knobs to my friend as a gift to complete the look. I think it looks awesome!





No comments:

Post a Comment