Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

Hot Glass Bead Making 101- Highly Recommend!



This past semester was a crazy one. I really wanted to focus on creating more art and trying new mediums of art. I received my town's spring continuing education classes and immediately registered for this Hot Glass Bead Making 101 Class through Studio 34 Creative Arts Center; www.studio34jewelryartslearningcenter.com/.

I was all excited and raced there from work one day only to find that it had been canceled due to a family death (completely understandable). However, I found out that the Studio never received my registration and when I contacted the school continuing education department they said they never received my registration and check. Long story short; I had to pay the bank $35 bucks (!) to cancel the missing check which was pretty much the cost of the course $34 plus $10 for materials. Needless to say I didn't want to repay to take the class.  I mentioned my dilemma to the owner of Studio 34, Marilynne Lipshutz and she immediately said that I would not have to pay a second time. She told me to pick a class time I could come to and then just pay the material fee. This was such an incredibly kind gesture in a world that often times isn't this generous.

I went to the class a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was a bit nervous about using the torch and melting glass, but I had an amazing time. Once you get the hang of it you just want to continue to create. One of the things I loved most about this experience is that the glass changes colors when it's melted so you really never know how it will turn out until it comes out of the kiln a day later.  

I really want to go back and take another glass making class. I think my mom would enjoy this so maybe it will be something we do on one of our Girls Weekend's!

I learned how to make heart beads and ended up making a keychain with the heart bead for my mother for Mother's Day. I also made my sister a keychain (but forgot to take a picture of it and just mailed it to her today-oops).


Here's the 5 beads I made in about an hour.



No comments:

Post a Comment