Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Always wanted to join a book club?

I've wanted to join a book club for a while but when I started looking into finding a group to join it seemed like you needed to be part of an already existing inner circle. Many friends or aquantanices that I knew were in book clubs said their groups were part of a long standing club of friends or women they knew. When I said I was interested in joining a group only one was willing to invite me into the inner circle but did mention that I may not feel comfortable because everyone else had known each other for a really long time.  So....my search continued you.  I found some book clubs at the library but most met during the work day. Plus who wants to meet at a library!

In late April while searching on the internet for book clubs in my area I came across MeetUp groups. I ended up joining this Social Readers group and have had a great time. We meet once a month and choose from a group of books each month on what we will read next.  The positives of this group is that I'm meeting a lot of interesting people and the more you go the more you get to know those of us who go regularly. In addition, I'm reading books I've never heard about and/or would never have thought to read. This specific group is fun because it's laid back and non-judgmental so we all feel comfortable simply stating "I hated the book because _____" while someone else will say "I really enjoyed the book because _______".

So if you are looking to join a book club check out MeetUp groups in your area. Or start your own MeetUp book club group. Here's the link to the one I'm a part of; http://www.meetup.com/The-Rochester-Social-Readers-Meetup-Group/.

And here's a list of the books we've read since I've joined along with my own star rating (up to 5 stars) for what it's worth.

Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos  ***
The God's of Gotham by Lindsay Faye  ****
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn *
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed  ***
Bloodline by James Rollins *****
The Fault of Our Stars by John Green *****
The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis **
The Paris Wife by Paula Mclain ***
The Favored Daughter by Fawzia Koofi *****
Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick *****

No comments:

Post a Comment