Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Art of Hand Lettering and Chalk

I was excited to sign up to take The Art of Hand Lettering and Chalk Class that was offered at The Brainery last week. I've been wanting to take this class for a while but always seemed to have a conflict on the dates it was offered.  I still ended up having a conflict but chose to take this class instead. I really needed to be in a place where I could create for a couple of hours. So even though this made for an extremely long day I sucked it up for my mental/emotional well being and signed up.  It didn't disappoint.

The class was jam packed with about 30 people there. We were given a piece of chalk, a chalk marker, pencil, and a piece of wood that had black chalk board paint on it.  We were shown and practiced 3-4 different styles of lettering and got to practice them.  Then we were shown how to place quotes and modern designs to go with quotes such as the banner and wreath.  We then outlined a phase and design that you wanted to put on the chalk board. The next step was to use chalk to create the lettering and design on the board (this part was annoying and difficult). The final step was to go over the chalk with the chalk marker (this too I found challenging).  I think my marker was a bit off and kept not working. Then I didn't like the streaky aspect of the finished project but I think that is the affect it is suppose to have because it's suppose to resemble chalk.  I also didn't like that the marker didn't have a fine point to it which is really difficult when your doing lettering.

I did enjoy creating, meeting new people and learning something new. I think it is definitely something I will continue to try and work on. Now I just need to find the time. :(





No comments:

Post a Comment