Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mixed Media Fiber Arts Class



Due to taking more night classes this fall as I work towards my second Masters degree I've worked 
hard to try to keep a balance in my life of work, school, fun, relaxing and creating.  It's worked out 
fairly well and I've remained relatively sane this fall.  In order to help me stay balanced in all of these areas I count on things like my book clubs, running races and art classes to hold me accountable.  In November I registered for a Mixed Media Fiber Arts Class through the Memorial Art Gallery's Creative Workshop (http://mag.rochester.edu/creativeworkshop/). It was a 3 hour 3 session class 1x a week. The  instructor was Nancy Topolski and her work can be found at http://www.etsy.com/shop/secondseed.

The class wasn't 100% what I envisioned it to be but as in most things in life it proved to be exactly what I needed at this time in my life.  I didn't know it until I went to the first class but I've met Nancy before when she exhibited and sold her artwork at the Clothesline Festival a couple of years ago. I admired her creative creatures and the neat ideas she came up with in how to recycle felt and wool sweaters.  I also saw this stuffed fish that I wanted for my nephew but couldn't afford it at the time.

The cool thing is that Nancy taught us all about different fibers, materials and felting techniques.  A friend of mine Leslie had shown me some basic felting with roving before so I had some idea of what to do, but I actually got to try new techniques during this class. Mostly this class gave me the space and time to around creative people and just relax and create.  

The one big problem was that once I started creating I didn't want to stop. I would come home from the class and want to keep creating every night instead of doing my big research papers and reading for classes. Arrrr..... However, I did force myself to buckle down do my work on time and managed to create quite a few felted creations which will end up being Christmas gifts for family and friends. Including the stuffed fish I made for my nephew. :)  Enjoy the pics and as always feel free to share your creations, inspiration or techniques.


Little purses or something like that.




These are pins but you can also make them into magnets.

This creature is about 3" tall and called "sprout".

The fish for my nephew.




No comments:

Post a Comment