Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Yarn Wreath Made Easy



I've seen these yarn wreaths on pinterest and they all look really pretty. I found a tutorial;

I went to Michaels Craft store with a 50% of coupon and purchased a straw wreath for 5 dollars. I kept the plastic on it. Used some thin colorful mohair yarn that I got for free from a friend and wrapped the yarn around the wreath. And wrapped and wrapped and wrapped (this took about 45 min. but was mindless work and kind of relaxing). Then I made flowers out of felt. I would say this took the longest and was more difficult (for me at least). As you can see in my pictures I started out with a different set and color of flowers but wasn't sure if I liked them with the yarn I used so I made a new set with different colors and styles. My best suggestion would be to experiment with the flowers. I found it hard to follow the tutorials so I just ended up creating my own by experimenting.

I should mention my one fatal flaw... After tying off the final yarn I had a brain fart and thought I needed to use the felt flowers to cover the knot and end of the yarn (even though this was on the back side). Therefore it wasn't until I was done hot gluing the flowers on that I wondered why my yarn didn't seem as straight and perfect and gaps were showing through to the straw. Yep... you guessed it I should have flipped it back over and glued the flowers on the front side that I had focused on making straight and full with the yarn instead I wasn't thinking and finished the project on the backside. Let's just say felt, hot glue and mohair yarn aren't friendly if you need to take them apart so I just made due with the backside and tried to move the yarn around to fill in gaps. Really I'm the only one that will probably notice the flaw, but still....





No comments:

Post a Comment