So here is a quick overview of what I've been doing over the past couple of months in the art and running scene here.
1. Checked out First Thursday here. It was a bit different from Rochester's but is supposedly up and coming monthly event. I was able to meet many artist in the area and fun projects and events going on. I met some peeps similar to me and even heard of an art therapist in the area.
2. I've continued to go to Soda City Market when I can get there and join the yoga on Saturday morning outdoors. I've had fun looking through the art stalls and being inspired.
3. I went to The Comedy House and had a blast there. Will definitely go back there!
4. I found a soul sister at The Lipstick on a Pig store in Newberry, SC. She doesn't have a Facebook page or a webpage at all and is only open the first weekend of the month. I discovered her through craigslist where she post some of her work toward the end of each month under furniture for sale. She get's all of her business through craigslist advertising and word of mouth. She is just like me but more amazing in her creations. She is so creative! She takes old worn down pieces of anything and either refinishes them or breaks them apart and puts pieces onto other pieces creating something totally new. Check out the pics below to get a feel for her work. My dining room table, ladder for quilts, skies for shelving and tv stand/buffet came from her and only cost $500 total. Her prices are way to cheap for the material and time she lovingly puts into each creation.
5. Joined a book club and made a couple of neat connections with a USC counselor and a woman on the board of GOTR. I've also read some great books. So far I've read:
Everything I Never Said by Celeste Ng
The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff
Now I'm on to Offshore by Penelope Fitzgerald
6. I've also joined a couple of races. I've joined the Southern Spartan group and have been training for the Spartan Sprint mid-November and Girls On the Run 5k a week after that. I've joined the GOTR volunteer team to do the run with a girl who is running her first 5k. I'm also helping out the morning of the race under the Celebration Tent and hope to be on the subcommittee for fundraising in the future. I'm also working on getting the courage to sign up for the Myrtle Beach half marathon in March 2016. I think this would be a good thing to work towards over this winter.