Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Another Furniture Redo

This post has been sitting here waiting to happen for a while now. I actually created this DIY Project back at the end of July but life has been crazy and time has flown by.  So I'll get straight to the topic and tell you how I did this redo.

My parents gave me this piece of furniture (or perhaps I mentioned really wanting it). ;)  It had a horrible scallop design at the front of each square box which I thought made it look dated. Plus I prepare simple looking furniture. So I got the crowbar and a hammer out and took the scallop edges off. Then because there was a varnish on the entire piece I lightly sanded down the main form and all of the boxes inside and out. (aka the yucky part) 

Then I purchased flat black spray paint and sprayed the entire main piece of furniture.  The coral spray paint was the trickiest part.  I looked in multiple stores and online and the only place I saw the color I was looking for was on amazon. I bought 2 cans to make sure I had enough and I ended up using both cans. I used the coral for the boxes.  I found some chalkboard spray paint and decided to tape of blocks on the front of the bins. I thought since I was going to be using this piece of furniture for my art supplies in my new place it would be cool to be able to label the bins. However; the biggest mistake I made on this project was using chalkboard spray paint. Even taping off every inch of the front of the bins there was still an over spray that left the lines not good.  I ended up using chalkboard paint on the entire front of the bin which I ultimate liked better but there still continued to be some over spray but it worked out okay.

Overall this piece turned out just how I envisioned it. I can't wait to get it to my new place and put my art supplies in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment