Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Dr. Seuss Wall Art Tutorial- Under $20

While visiting my sister recently she showed me a picture of some wall art a woman made and was selling on Esty. My sister asked me if I could help her create this wall art for my niece's room before I came back to NY.  We went to a second hand Children's shop called "Once Upon A Time" and found 4 Dr. Seuss books for a total of $10. My sister already had 4 extra canvases from a prior project but you can find them at Walmart or Michaels often times on sale or with a coupon for about 5-7 dollars total.



Here's how I did it.
1. You can use Gorilla Glue or E 6000.  Put the glue all over the front and back cover of the book. Split the book in the middle page to lay heavy books on it while drying.  It took about 1-2 hours for books to adhere/dry to the canvases.

2. Then I used 2 different type of folds.  2 books had a simple bend over fold. Then the other two had a bend over fold followed by triangle (and alternated until all of the pages were folded).  I took Elmer's glue and put it on the ends of each book at the binding (top and bottom) to help adhere the pages. In others I saw that they glued each page in but I have made several altered books and they pretty much hold themselves together if you do them correctly.

This was  a pretty easy and quick wall art project. And it was inexpensive.  The woman on Esty was selling them for $95 for a set of 4. Total time 1.5 hours dry glue dry time and 20min. to fold all 4 books.






2 comments:

  1. So cool! lilia would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make them for her if you have the books and get the canvases. :)

      Delete