Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2015

DIY Project- Going Retro

My mom found this ugly metal stand at a flea market and thought of me. She was right on for this particular piece of furniture.  I immediately had a vision. Below is how I transformed this piece from ugly to retro chic.

Steps:
1.  I started by sanding down the metal.
2.  Then purchased Krylon Spray Paint color Ocean Mist glossy and put a couple of layers on the stand.  I taped off the wheels so they wouldn’t get painted. And took the drawer out and painted it separately.  **Wait at least 24 hours before moving on to the next step.

3.  I thought I’d leave it plain but then got inspiration from my new phone cover. I found some painters tape and created chevon stripes. Once taped off I used Krylon black glossy paint to spray the exposed areas. It was a little difficult only having two hands as I had to take a piece of cardboard and move it along the edge of the table top in order to not have any spray paint get onto the sides of the table.  

4.  I waited half a day before peeling of the tape to see the results. It’s not perfect but then again neither am I.  Bottom line- it came out pretty cool.  (to avoid any jagged edges on the stripes don’t rip the tape like I did, lesson learned- use actual scissors) Yeah I know duh!!!

5.  Even though I used glossy paint which is fairly rugged I did use Kryon Crystal Clear Glossy spray to finish off the just the top of the stand. I figure this may help protect the top from wear longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment