Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Monday, February 17, 2014

The Winter Blahhhhhs

This past week found me moaning and groaning each morning as I've shoveled the driveway practically daily this winter.  Like most people I know I am so over this winter. I'm not a winter person to begin with so the endless grey, freezing cold, and never ending snow is torture.  If there is a light at the end of the tunnel it's that today I noticed it stayed light out until about 6pm which leaves a tiny hope that someday in the next 3 months this winter might give way to spring.

I did have my wine book club Monday night which was a positive way to start the week. The book was Me Before You. Of course we did our normal talk about the book for 5-10 minutes and then moved on to random topics. :) The food was delicious and the company hilarious!  Then I had the book club with my mom and sister Saturday via Facetime. My mom couldn't get through more than 2 chapters of Middlesex but once she heard my sister and I discussing it she kept asking questions. :)

The most exciting news from this past week was that my mom came up for a girls weekend.  I actually COOKED us a nice meal on Valentine's Day and bought her flowers since her birthday is this coming week.  We spent time creating invitations for a birthday party/baby shower for my nephew and sister. It's a big deal that they will be visiting on my nephews birthday for the first time in 4 years and that my sister is pregnant again after almost 7 years.  Yes, that means I'm going to be an Auntie again!!!

On Saturday we went shopping for party decorations and then I took my mom out to dinner and a movie. We saw Winter's Tale with Collin Farrell (what a hottie) and it was a pretty good movie.  My mom was a team player and got up early with me on Sunday morning to partake in the 5th Annual Strong Walk for Kids, a fundraiser and collaboration with Nazareth College and St. John Fischer.  A shout out to my friends and coworkers who sponsored me for the walk.  There was a nice set up inside the gym with family friendly activities. My mom and I participated in the tie dyed t-shirt making and decorate your own cookie. Tim Hortons was a sponsor and so we were treated with delicious hot chocolate and donuts after the brisk cold walk in the morning.



Unfortunately time fly's and I'm not sure if/when I'll see my parents again before my sister and her family are up in April. We are all looking forward to the family "reunion" as it doesn't happen much these days.  I'm heading to Costa Rica in March for 10 days and between work, grad classes and races my schedule is jam packed for the near future. Yes, you read correctly...Costa Rica here I come.  I can't believe this adventure is less than a month away.  Hot springs, volcano hikes, zip-lining with the monkeys in the rainforest, cloud walking and SUPPing here I come!

One last thing I did this week was e re-decorating my work office.  I created this "thing" (I'm not sure what to call it) to hold the thank you notes and inspiring words students and coworkers have given me over the years.  I feel better since I cleansed out my office, organized a bit more and spruced up the environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment