Search This Blog

Creative Casey's Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Decorative Cabinet Knobs


Originally when trying to decide what kind of knobs to put on my arts and craft center my research showed that knobs/cabinet pulls are pretty darn expensive (especially when I needed 9 of them). So the most inexpensive way to have new hardware was going to be to purchase wooden knobs (found in most hardware stores- in this case HD) for a dollar each and paint them however I desired. After purchasing the wooden knobs, I ended up using a resourceful method which aided me in being able to purchase the old fashioned clear glass knobs that I had really wanted for the arts and crafts center. Thus, leaving with with lots of wooden knobs.

I still wanted to paint the knobs just not for the arts and craft center. I decided to create two sets of 4 decorative wooden cabinet knobs. I primed the knobs first, then used acrylic paints to create the desired designs and finished each knob with 4 coats of semi gloss varnish. The set with the multiple rings of circles on it was fun and fairly easy just took time and patience. The other set I was originally going to paint a fun bird on each and put glitter on the birds but opted for a different design which I thought would be easier but was NOT! That set was somewhat frustrating but turned out well in the end.

Now what will I do with these knobs...hmm..... not quite sure. I started researching opening a shop on Esty.com and trying to sell the knobs and the mixed media paintings along with whatever else I create in the future. Stay tuned to see what I decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment